Saturday, May 30, 2015

Who'd have thunk?

I haven't been getting paid, but I have been keeping pretty busy. Stuart and I have been repairing the walls and I've been painting over all the purple. I've sure been pulling dandelions out of the yard. Bags and bags and bags of the bloody things. 

I managed to bring the kefir grains to the new house without killing them and we are continuing to have kefir regularly. And I recently traded a girl some grains for a SCOBY and I have my second batch of kombucha brewing. This time I've tried adding flavour, so in a few days, we'll have strawberry flavour and ginger flavour. I never got the compost to really get going at the old house, so I've been looking into vermicomposting instead. Along the way, I ran into the idea of bokashi, so hey, maybe we can add more fermenting! I need to do some more reading, but I do like the thought that we could compost things like meat, bones and dairy, which usually can't go into compost. 

We've been making all kinds of yummy food: shrimp mousse, pulled pork, lots of Victoria's yummy beef, bacon and yam hash for breakfast, chicken wings and much more! I still make our mayo from scratch - by now I think the jarred stuff tastes pretty lame. I've been remembering to take my vitamins and the dogs and I have started taking Golden Paste. It really seems to be making a difference for my various aches and pains and Ursa is much perkier and happier to play with Jenner.

I've been working on sewing projects. I got a stuffed "rubber" ducky made for Heidi's belated Christmas present. I'm making some folders for SCA charters. I made curtains for the master bedroom out of blackout material, so that helps with all our sleeping. The first coronation for our new SCA kingdom is coming up next month, so I'm hoping to have some new garb made for us.

I was thinking about all this madness today and realized something; I am, in some part, becoming the adult that I imagined when I was younger. I wanted to be confident and healthy and to be able to make stuff. I'm still not rich or famous, but I guess I am making headway on the others. I thought that I would feel like I had my stuff much more together than I do in order to achieve all this, but I guess not.

No comments: