Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Well, I haven't been here for a while!

There is no way I am going to try and "catch up" from my last post. Just here to get a thought out of my head.

When we moved and I knew that I was going to be spending most days at home with just the dogs, I knew it was going to be a challenge. Not because of loneliness or boredom, but because of food. With no one here to "police" me and having access to a vehicle, the temptation to nip out for junk food was definitely going to be strong. And ongoing.

So I decided that what I needed to do was have food on hand that was enough of a treat, that I'd rather eat it than go out for something. It didn't necessarily have to be 100% healthy, but you know, the more so the better. Almost anything I made was going to be better than fast food, by default. And by preference, it should be something I could make several meals worth of at once or be something very quick and simple to put together.

And I've been doing pretty well. Chicken wings are a staple - call me weird but I like stripping meat off of bones and wings are perfect for that! Served with my home made ranch dressing, I could eat them for a week running without getting tired of them. Last week, I was going through my recipe book looking for something else, and I found Stuart's mom's shrimp mousse recipe. This is something that she usually only makes at Christmas and we all descend on it like locusts. It's made with canned tomato soup, but I may play around and see if I can replace it with tomato paste and spices, to reduce the sugar and salt load. And it involves a ridiculous amount of cream cheese, so it's not low fat.

But I made a big double batch for this week, and it's a lot yummier than a frozen pizza, which is what I was craving last night. She normally serves it with crackers, which blows the gluten reduction, but it's equally tasty with veggies or just off a spoon.

Combined with all the dog walking, I'm at least not putting on weight! Next to work into the routine: Pilates workouts - cause YouTube has all kinds of videos!

No comments: