Saturday, December 14, 2013

Decisions, decisions

I'm using up my health benefits before they disappear by purchasing new glasses. The shiny wore off my current ones quite quickly (I got tired of them fast) and my prescription has changed enough to warrant new lenses. I'm going to get them Optiks International - they are having a sale on lenses after Christmas, so with the free second pair, it's almost worth all the money they'll charge. My friends Michelle and Kate went with me to pick out the frames I wanted to get.

The "free" pair are from Soho Tech and I can't find them listed online, so no pic. Sorry. They are a full frame, with black on the front and purple inside; the temples have a winding pattern in black and purple. The pair I'm going to buy are Silhouettes - I really, really want a pair of rimless glasses again. We picked out the Titan Elements frame with the 4237 style of lenses… but I'm hesitating on the colour. My first instinct is the green 6058, but it seems so lime on my monitor, I'm worried about it making me look sallow, especially since I don't always wear make-up. And I'm not going to change that just for my glasses! Looking at the other options, I think 6055 would be my next choice. I don't feel like the harshness of black, I just don't like anything red or gold tone enough to see it every day, I like the blue but more if the proportions with the white were exchanged.

Sigh. If anyone has any input, please, feel free to leave me a comment!

I saw my aesthetician recently for the bits of waxing that I pay to get done and she's very excited to be newly offering the Dermalogica line. I've been using the oil cleansing method for quite a while now, but as we sink deeper into Alberta winter, I'm still finding that my face feels dry. She offered me a big pile of sample sizes, so I decided to give them a try. (I could never get samples before and I didn't want to order full sizes because so many of their products have lavender in them; I didn't want to be stuck with bottles I couldn't use.) I've done three cleanses with them now and oh my god - the difference! I mean, my skin looked better after the first wash and a good night's sleep! Brighter, clearer, less congested, the annoying blackheads on my nose diminished. It was astonishing.

So I went back to their website to do some more snooping around. First thing I noticed is that their cleansers all contain SLES, PEGs and parabens. Which I find very interesting, because a year ago, after one wash, I would have been itchy and breaking out in a rash. A chemical is a chemical, so I doubt they have some magical ones. Possibilities that occur to me are:

  1. I've changed my diet quite significantly since then, so maybe my overall "poison" load is reduced.
  2. I've changed a lot of my personal environment - soap nut detergent, handmade shampoo and soap, etc. so maybe my overall "poison" load is reduced.
  3. Maybe my skin is just cycling through a stronger period; although given my stress levels lately, this seems unlikely.
It's possible that after a week or two of use, I might start to notice some irritation. Or maybe having reduced my use of problem chemicals in other areas, I could now tolerate these (stay under my threshold for a reaction.) Dermalogica isn't cheap, so do I invest in some bottles and give it a longer term trial?

No comments: