Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Success and zombies

Stuart and I made it through our first Whole30.  It was perhaps 99.8% compliant, but I'm not enough of a perfectionist, especially for our first try, to not call it complete. In the end, I've lost 10-12 lbs (depending on what time of day I measure) and approximately 2" off my waist. It's the second measurement that I find staggering! I've definitely found that my sleep quality has improved, but I still haven't had the wild jump in energy levels that some people experience. Too bad! And my skin has definitely cleared up again.

We decided while we were camping that the first thing we are going to reintroduce is dairy. So we got some Marble Slab to celebrate our survival and I'm had a small bowl  last night after yoga. I put milk in my tea this morning instead of coconut milk. The coconut is acceptable in my Dilmah but indifferent to blah in things like chai tea - I actually thought I'd love it, but no. However, tea and milk without sweetener now tastes just fine! And Stuart made an herbed meatloaf with mushrooms and brie in the crock pot that is fantastic. Other than that, I can't think of anything I really missed that I want to re-introduce; added sugar in any form is staying OUT. And I think grains will be a really slippery slope, so except for the odd occasion eating out when they offer us pasta or something, I think they are staying gone too.

On the tea front today, I was very happy to hear back that the loose leaf tea supplier they found for our new office doesn't put soy lecithin in their teas. I've been holding off trying them, but now I'll give them a whirl! I haven't suffered though, as I moved my personal tea stash to the new office.

On Saturday, Stuart and I volunteered at the first annual (hopefully) Zombie Survivor. I think it was generally a lot of fun for the runners, but the behind the scenes organization was pretty bad. I wouldn't mind it so much for a first time event, except that the organizers made a pretty big deal about how they'd run these kinds of events before in other cities. Based on that, I'm disappointed that they made quite a few very beginner style mistakes.

To begin with, none of the volunteers got any sort of schedule or assigned role beyond a time to check in. The zombies got swapped off the course around lunch time, but some of the other volunteers were left out in the sun and the wind all day without food or a break. Some injuries are inevitable in any physical event and there will always be whiners, but the rules for zombie/runner interaction were not well enough defined, in my opinion. It was a sunny day on the bare prairie running up and down a hilly course, with obstacles and zombies, but runners were not required to carry water and the water stations had dixie cups. The organizers also apparently did a poor job of emphasizing to the runners that this was an obstacle course; there were quite a few overweight couch potatoes who barely made it and just skipped most of the obstacles. The odds of a 250+ lb women making it over an 8 foot wall are pretty low.

However, the turn out was very high and contrary to my grumpiness, most of the racers seemed to be enjoying themselves. And some of the zombies were amazing! Most of them were designated as "slow" and were restricted to shambling, lunging and ambushing, but there were a handful of "hunter" zombies who were fast and agile- watching them course a group of runners who thought they'd escaped was highly entertaining. And the make-up artists did a fantastic job!

Next on my plate: working for The Ongiri Company at Calgary Folk Music Festival this weekend and getting ready for Quad War the weekend after.

No comments: