Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Various and sundry

I completely forgot to mention GG in my last post! Bad granddaughter - no cookie! My mom's mom is my last surviving grandparent and she's outlasted the rest by a significant margin.  She was known as Grandma, but since Ella was born and at first couldn't wrap her mouth around "great grandma", she's been known as GG (or Gigi, as my dad types.) She was ticking along quite well until the last year or so, when her health started to decline. She's still on the ball mentally, but the body isn't quite as willing anymore.  The woman is 94 years old, so I can't say I blame it!

She's been in and out of the hospital a few times in the last couple of months and she was still in when we went for our visit last week.  However, she'd been moved into the Geriatric Assessment wing, so she was allowed out on day passes.  She'd come down with pneumonia and was having heart issues - so they got her lungs cleared up and completely changed the meds that her family doctor had prescribed. She got to go home last week and she seems to be doing well.  She tires easily, but hell, so do I some days. I'm trying to make an effort to call her a little more... she could die next week or keep going for years, but I'd hate to regret not making the effort when it's too late.

Over the weekend, I washed a bunch of the fabric that I bought to get it ready for sewing.  I'll order the Recreating History patterns this weekend, but in the meantime I have two capes to make!  I'll also probably end up making each of us at least one Birka or Bog coat, since they are warm, but a little more practical than a cape. I learned about Bog coats this weekend, hanging out at Jude's house with Lisa. We drank tea, watched Jude paint her banner and talked about all kinds of stuff. I'd thought about not going, because I was tired and the weather was sucky, but I really needed it! I've realized lately that once again I'm short on friends who want to spend time with me JUST for my company. I love 'em all, but it's getting tiring. (Actually with Jude, I'm more of the needy one, since I'm constantly pestering her with archery questions... :P)

Work continues to be a slog.  I went to Serbia in October and what with one thing and another, I still haven't done any significant work on getting that documentation written up.  Right now I'm focused on cleaning up the .xml that we've already created (learning Astoria and oXygen along the way) and getting it ready for a release next month, and figuring out how to set up and use the conditional tagging and release manager to be able to compile and release all the versions we need.  It's been affecting my sleep, because I find myself laying there, running permutations through my head and trying to see if the result is what I need. It sucks because then I'm tired and have trouble concentrating when I AM supposed to be working on it. Meditation, yoga, whatever - I'm only human.  A very tired human.

Not to mention that last night, Ursa and I conked heads and I've had a sore spot on my skull and  a moderate headache all day. Not conducive to constructive anything, I'm finding.

In hair news, I S&D a fair bit on the trip and since then, because I've found a new thing.  There were a non-zero number of hairs that had split, not at the tip, but 10-15cm up the length.  I'm not sure what's causing it, but I don't like it! I've done a fairly thorough job of cutting them out, so if a new bunch crops up, I'll have to think about what to change. It seems likely to be mechanical damage - so maybe I need to hunt up a good quality comb instead of my beloved Tangle Teezer? We'll see...

I'm sure there was other stuff I planned to mention, but I can't think of it now of course.

No comments: